Monday, May 22, 2006

Introduction/Worship

The funniest thing about attending seminary is that only now am I being tested in what I believe. Granted I have had no Systematic Theology classes or church history to build a foundation on, but at the same time I have even less time to truly sit down and consider the whirlwind that has been the past two months. I’ll get to that another day.

What is worship? Worship is normally accompanied by the word ‘praise,’ but is it limited to just that. I have been told on more than a couple of occasions that I am a ‘talented’ worship leader, most of the time it is shortly after leading worship for Seminary Chapel or on a Sunday morning when, in my opinion, everything ‘came together.’ Yet for all the flash and spiffy things that happen during worship it means nothing to me if there is not an encounter with God.

This morning I led worship in chapel for the entire time period that we had. Afterwards I received high fives from about 5 people and nods of approval from others. I knew that it had been a time of sincere worship (mostly due to the fact I was exhausted) and that joy and peace had come down and rested upon those that needed it.

For all of these things I do not know if I could trade places with anyone worshiping in the chairs and find the same joy that I do when I lead. When Matt Redman wrote the song The Heart of Worship it was not just a normal songwriting experience. A year earlier he was at the top of his field and was beginning the well-known Soul Survivor movement in Europe somewhere (I think it is more in England). The head pastor commented that most of the church was too addicted to the music and banned music and singing from the church for a year. ‘Worship’ took on a whole new meaning where there was time of testimony, speaking, drama, prayer, and silence. At the end they truly had discovered the heart of worship.

On such a small scale how does one rediscover the true meaning of worship? A term that has risen out of the same Soul Survivor group is that of ‘Lead Worshiper’ as a replacement for worship leader. The more I lead the more I realize that this is true. One cannot evoke emotions in others through forcing it upon them, but rather if one leads sincerely others will follow. “Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” In some respect those who are worship leaders have missed out on what it means to worship in an effort to focus on getting others to go where they themselves do not tarry.

If you ask me to lead worship, I will show you what I do when I worship in my own house. Should you say I did a good job, you will find that I am as big a dork as the next person, and that my guitar skills are not amazing. Should you tell me that ‘I’ inspired you, I will tell you that I am simply a servant and child of God and that I have no power of my own, it is Christ who strengthens me.

No comments: