Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Ritualistic Aging

On the 5th (of February) I turn 27. The celebration, however, has already begun. One of the signs that my birthday is arriving is the need to consider what to get my brother for his birthday (on Jan 31st). Now the both of us being guys we have kinda reached the point where we just look at each other and go out and buy something in the name of the other. It is kinda sad, but it works, it is less work and probably a sign of our relationship. (that last part coming from the nagging part of my brain.)

That thought aside I spent the weekend with my family and doing very little schoolwork, with the exception of scouting out my Youth and Evangelism project. Saturday night I played volleyball and, after a shower, drove down to San Diego to celebrate with some old friends from High School and a bunch of my brother’s friends from college. Being the only Christian in the room it made for an interesting evening. I learned how to play a drinking game (they allowed for soda or water to replace your alcoholic beverage of choice), watched another (alcohol required), and had some really grubby carne asada for dinner. It was a good time where the games even allowed for conversation and enjoying a good time of making fun of each other. There was of course the evilness that eventually comes out of a few extra drinks and is not fit to post in a blog, but is still really funny to describe if you ask.

That night I stayed at the brothers-girlfriends-parent’s house. This is an experience that I have had before, and the second visit confirmed some existing suspicions, and made me realize some others. The family has some of the most ordered-chaos that I know of. Let me explain … no that would take too long, let me sum up. The family has 9ish kids, I can’t remember the exact number, but ages range from 30ish to 7 or so. They live by the strict code of “You sleep where you fall.” When we walked in at around 11pm, the dad was on the floor curled up in the fetal position and sawing logs while the rest of the family was getting a second dinner, or chatting about upcoming events. Think Cheaper by the Dozen, but with added chaos and larger variety of ages. Yet the thing that was confirmed for me the most, was the family unity that flowed through that family. That family functions in some form of unified front that defies natural logic. I can’t explain it, nor do I think that I would understand it if I spent a week there (granted I would probably go insane first) but there are admirable qualities within the chaos.

I spent Sunday morning recharging batteries, checking email, talking about life and plans, then drove up to Mission Viejo to scout out my Youth Evangelism project. That is another story, but after spending about 3 hours there I left and met my parents for some pre-dinner dinner. Had a good talk with them about classes and looking at youth ministry and trying to form what I have learned into coherent thought and having only minor success.

After that we went to dinner at a restaurant called The Five Crowns in Corona Del Mar. Spent the evening in fine dining and good company. It was a nice rest, and a good time to just enjoy being a family again, even if just for a moment.

As I get older I realize how much friends and family mean to me. As I get old one of my hopes is that I become wiser. I think it is weird that at almost-27 I still get comments on my teach-ability. I think more than that is an understanding where God has blessed me. I have come to an understanding that one of the greater gifts that have been given to me is that of friends who surround me and are there for me. Those of you who are just around, all I want for my Bday is to enjoy time spent together.

No comments: