Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Theology of Harry Potter

Yes … I went and saw midnight showing of Order of the Phoenix opening night. I’m not sure how I am presently awake, but I’m trying to make progress.

To prepare myself for the new film I watched the fourth one again and something struck me as very interesting. At the end of the fourth movie Harry and Dumbledore are talking and Dumbledore says the following that struck me as interesting, “You will have to choose between what is right, and what is easy.” This quote played tricks on me this morning…

I went to bed at 3am post movie. I had class at 8am. I forgot to set my alarm. My internal alarm woke me up at 6:45, at which point I rolled over to see that it was indeed 6:45, and then rolled back over to consider five more minutes of comfort from my pillow. At this point I rolled back over and found that it was now 7:30. At this point my brain proposed the idea of just skipping class, I rolled halfway over and had Dumbledore’s quote run through my head. At this point I complained audibly to no one in particular, rolled out of bed and was in class by 8am (with shower and caffeine).

Right vs Easy is in a very interesting contrast to Right vs Wrong. While I think that I have though in the terms of a ‘gray’ area for quite some time now, it was interesting to put it in this context and have a succinct quote that sums up those ideas.

As to the movie: I will simply quote Ron Weasley

“Wicked!”

No comments: