Sunday, September 09, 2007

I Can't Make This Stuff Up

As spoken by Fuller's President Richard Mouw during his 'musings' portion of the trustee's meeting dinner ... on grits ... theology ... and sermon examples ...

"A Roman Catholic friend of mine went to visit the south and took a look at the menu, he called the waitress over to ask what grits were. He said, 'ma'am, what's a grit?' She replied, 'Hon you don't get just one ...' The body of Christ should be like grits, all stuck together and many of us."

"Another friend of mine who I told this story to called me one day and said, 'I have a grits story for you:'

A man walks into a wafflehouse in the south and orders waffles, bacon and eggs. Waitress brings the order and it has grits all over it. The man turns to the waitress, 'Excuse me I didn't order any grits.' She replied, 'Sorry, you get 'em whether you want em or not.'

Grace is like grits ... you get it whether you want it or not ...' "

I think I'm going to have to save these for any sermons I give in southern states.

1 comment:

daedalus1898 said...

Ode to a Grit:

When I see you there,
with all your little friends,
My eyes fill up with tears,
'cause you're coming to the end.

A little salt and butter,
is all it really takes,
some folks like shrimp or tabasco,
or they'll put you in some cakes.

But I like you how you are,
my little tiny grit.
I would have you no other way,
at the table when I sit.

chorus

Oh grit! Oh how I love you!
What is the sauce you come in,
we really don't know.
But if you came without it,
you'd really, really blow.

musical interlude

I see you there before me,
lying on my spoon.
Your time is ending shortly,
you'll be in my mouth soon.

I love you little grit,
you warm up my big heart.
Cause I know I'm home,
when you're around,
I find you no other place.
Oh grit, how much I miss you,
now that you're not on my plate.