Sunday, April 22, 2007

Musical Blogs

I have been trying to do this blog thing once a week since the start of this quarter and been doing an OK job of it. I find my life isn’t all that interesting some weeks, so from time to time I might have to make up some fake news, but there will be warning signs when I get there.

This week has been very … musical … I guess is an appropriate word. I led worship in chapel last Monday playing some of my favorite songs, more cause well I wanted to and nobody was going to get in my way so neyah. This was followed with many many airport runs (ok 2) where I played ‘airport taxi’ from LAX to Pasadena for a few friends who went to Cursillo for participation as well as staff members and one other traveler who managed to land around the same time as the others. This afforded me much time in my car with my slightly damaged Ipod. It still plays but it does have the minor issue that part of the screen is unreadable. These trips afford me some time to enjoy some good driving and good driving music as well as get a better feel for some of the lyrics that get brushed over as they play while my focus us elsewhere.

Thursday night was much fun. I joined my friends Josh, Rebecca, and Laura for a jam session of banjo, guitar, bass, piano, mandolin, and voice proportions. Rotating through songs and just learning a bunch of music while having fun around friends who I had not seen in a long time (in Josh and Rebecca - They got married over spring break and are not on campus much this quarter.) It was a very relaxing experience that will have to take place again.

Friday was lots of fun as I got to revisit my Cursillo experience with a few of the people who had been. It was a time of talking, remembering, good food, a little worship but in general it was fun to just revisit memories that I had forgotten about, and hearing from the new people about their experience as well as finding out that some of the folks over in Houston were asking about me. Odd, yes. Comforting, yes.

Saturday I took the evening out to go see Rosie Thomas in concert at Fuller for Art’s week. It was a very slow style of music but they were just having a good time. The band had gotten lost on their way to Pasadena, and ended up getting about an hour south before they realized they had gone too far. Their minds were kinda gone, but it was funny to watch. It was interesting to see Rosie who has a singing voice similar to Sarah McLaughlin (or that was my first and second impression) and then to have a speaking voice that was … well … not. Still it was interesting to see a very simple musical background that gave way to very powerful lyrics. I noticed a few things that I want to try on guitar, but that will probably have to wait some. It is a working weekend and I’m about 1/3 the way done with my reading for my next paper.

Final thoughts: Rocky Road Brownies (sans nuts) are quite tasty and I still have about 1/3 of the batch left at the time of writing this … ummmmmmmm.

No comments: