Thursday, October 02, 2008

So what’s going on in Paso?

I’m glad you asked :)

So aside from my ‘cut short’ last post, life is actually really good. I have my first ‘what I’m really going to be doing during my internship’ meeting on Tuesday (10/7) where I will be sitting down with a group of Pentecostals who have found themselves in a Presbyterian Church … suckers. But seriously I will be in charge of empowering these people to do the ministry of compassion and reconciliation. How I’m supposed to do that … I’m not entirely sure, but me and my other half are going to get on our knees, pray and see what happens. The church itself is in a huge transition as it is moving from rented apartments and will be moving into its permanent offices near the end of this month. I got here just in time to see one of the large scale events take place.

Clicking ->here<- will pull up two videos, one is a mock staff meeting that is funny on a couple of levels, I don’t think you even have to know the staff to get some of the jokes. The second is actually footage from the event and it was lots of fun (but really cold).

This month will prove to be just as busy as we have two events. The first is a concert that the church’s praise band will be putting on to have tickets help pay for the building fund. Should be lots of fun and the praise band is pretty talented in terms of creativity and musicians, but they will probably do mostly cover songs. I don’t think the worship director has had time to write some of his own stuff yet. He is a busy guy.

The second requires some set up. The pastor here is a true blood Scotsman: plays bagpipes, owns a kilt, has a good accent when he summons it up … whole nine yards… yes on Guinness. So they have an annual Kirkin of the Tartan. Which is basically a bagpiper band in service with kilts. I might have pictures soon enough, as disturbing as that might be to some people who read this … I’m sorry, I’ll give you fair warning.

No comments: